(Henderson, NC) An update on the effects of Hydrilla has been announced by Paul McKenzie
Agricultural Extension Agent, Vance/Warren Counties with NC Cooperative Extension. (NOT FAMILIAR WITH HYDRILLA? SEE RECENT KLPW PHOTOS BELOW)McKenzie, who has organized and led some preliminary meetings and in-water surveys wants interested people on and around Kerr Lake to make plans to attend an informational meeting about the aquatic weed Hydrilla, which has become established over scores of acres in John H. Kerr/Bugg Island Reservoir.
The meeting is scheduled for Thursday, August 11 at 6:30 PM at the Glass House in Satterwhite Point State Recreation Area. According to McKenzie, representatives of several agencies will be on-hand, including:
- NCSU Aquatic Weed program (basic biology of hydrilla and management options)
- US Army Corps of Engineers (allowed procedures for hydrilla treatments)
- NC Cooperative Extension, Vance County (summary of the Oct. 2010 “on-the-water” survey)
- NC State Parks (impacts on Recreation Areas)
There will be a discussion about options for a more comprehensive approach to hydrilla management, as well as the potential for a more thorough survey of the lake. Tthere will be plenty of time to answer public questions. Local professional applicators will be on hand to share their knowledge and contact information.
McKenzie acknowledged the following agencies that are currently involved with addressing the Hydrilla situation in Kerr Lake.
- Kerr Buggs Island Safety Council
- US Coast Guard Auxiliary
- NC State Parks, Kerr Lake State Recreation Area
- US Army Corps of Engineers
- NCSU Aquatic Weed program
- NC DENR Aquatic Weed Control Program
If you would like to contact McKenzie directly about Hydrilla his information is shown below. KLPW
Agricultural Extension Agent, Vance/Warren Counties
Field Crops (Warren only), Forestry, Horticulture
NC Cooperative Extension
NCSU College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
305 Young St., Henderson, NC 27536
Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/pgmckenzie
252.438.8188 (Vance) 252.257.3640 (Warren)
HYDRILLA PHOTOS – LATE JULY, 2011 – PHOTOS WERE TAKEN IN AND AROUND SHORES OF KERR LAKE